Monday, June 1, 2009

Baking Mondays - F is for Ferrero Rocher Cupcakes


Chocolate cake filled with Nutella and a roasted hazelnut, topped with Nutella swiss meringue buttercream and chopped hazelnuts, drizzled with dark chocolate and finished off with half a Ferrero Rocher.

This week Ferrero Rocher won the polls and I couldn't be happier. These were really fun to make and they tasted really, really good! If you like Nutella and chocolate cake you can't go wrong with these cupcakes...

Devil's Food Cake (from Australian Women's Weekly Classic Cakes)
Makes 20 cupcakes

180g butter, softened
385g caster sugar
3 eggs
225g self-raising flour
75g plain flour
1/2 tsp bicarb soda
70g cocoa powder
3 tsp instant coffee granules
125ml water
125ml milk
  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius. Line 2 12-hole muffin trays with cupcake liners.
  2. Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
  3. Fold in sifted flours, soda and cocoa powder with combined coffee, water and milk, in two batches.
  4. Pour mixture into cupcake liners and bake for 15 minutes.

Nutella Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Follow the directions for Almond Swiss Meringue Buttercream but up the amount of Vanilla to 1 tablespoon and also add 5 tablespoons of Nutella.

Decorations and Filling

Handful of chopped hazelnuts
Nutella for filling
200g dark chocolate, melted
10 Ferrero Rochers, halved

Assembling the cupcakes

Once the cupcakes have cooled, cut out a portion of each cupcake and insert Nutella and a roasted hazelnut. Replace the portion of cupcake and then top with a swirl of Nutella swiss meringue buttercream and chopped hazelnuts. Then drizzle some melted dark chocolate over the top, and finally top with half of a Ferrero Rocher.


The Ratings?

Me - 9/10, really, really good - my only slight issue was that the cake was a tiny teensy bit dry.
Mat - 9.5/10, they really tasted like Ferrero Rocher - yummo!

16 comments:

Mitsy / ArtMind said...

Hmm, I love Nutella! I never even considered making cupcakes from them! Thanks for the idea! :)

apparentlyjessy said...

Yummo! These are visually stunning! :) Bet they taste amazing too!

Becky Farley said...

Oh my gosh! These are so perfect looking! Florida is lovely, you should move here and open a cupcake shop ;)

Amanda said...

My mouth is watering!

drollgirl said...

i bet they are as SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET as can be! yum!

Amy said...

Yum!! Looks fantastic! ooh I so want to taste them :)

Elissa said...

It looks amazing! I am so tempted to try it myself but I fear I lack your talent.

alissa said...

oh mylanta! these look AWESOME! you amaze me every week, nice work!

Chantel said...

*drool*... Nutella...say no more!

They look FANTASTIC. I wish I could just smell them! LOL

Anonymous said...

Yum, yum and YUM!!!! I so want to make these now!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Oooohhhh yeah! So far, yours are the most decadent looking FR cupcakes I've seen!!

Mermaid Sews said...

Wowzer, these are truely amazing looking and sounding. Nice job. I know the french people in my life would die for these.

cookies and cups said...

This looks soo good! My older sons favorite candy is Ferrero Rocher and they would love this!

Rhianne said...

wow, that looks amazing!

Nutella Forum said...

The perfect cupcake for a Nutella lover... that's me!

Brandy L said...

I am drooling.....