Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas Baking - Cointreau and Sponge Finger Balls

Cointreau and Sponge Finger Balls

So in my last baking post I mentioned that I would be making four Christmas treats - well scrap that. I attempted a new recipe for almond brittle rocky road and it was a complete disaster. And I mean complete. The brittle melted all of my rocky road and then it didn't set! So I was left with one soggy melted chunk of supposed rocky road, a huge mess and a grumpy attitude. Funnily enough it was a recipe from Better Homes and Gardens, which you may remember gave me a whole heap of trouble last Christmas time (see here, here, here and here). So that is it - definitely no more recipes from Better Homes and Gardens for me.

Now back to the real baking - these little balls of Cointreau and chocolately goodness are just delicious, and so easy to make! If you are short on time this Christmas but want a tasty treat to give away then this is the recipe for you.

Cointreau and Sponge Finger Balls

Cointreau and Orange Sponge Finger Balls
Makes 35

1 tbsp Cointreau
1 cup dried apricots, finely chopped
250g sponge fingers, processed until fine
1/2 cup desiccated coconut, plus extra to sprinkle
grated rind of 1/2 orange
395ml sweetened condensed milk
50g butter, melted
500g white, milk or dark chocolate, melted
  1. In a bowl, pour Cointreau over dried apricots and set aside to soak for 15 minutes.
  2. Combine apricots, sponge fingers, coconut, orange rind, condensed milk and butter in a bowl to form a soft mixture. Form small balls, and allow to set in the fridge.
  3. Once firm, dip balls into melted chocolate and sprinkle with extra coconut. Chill until set.

Rating?
Me - 4/5 - yummy, I love the little chunks of dried apricot through them.
Mum - 4/5 - tastes just like a jaffa.

2 comments:

cocoa and coconut said...

At least you finally got a winning recipe after those other cooking trials. Well done...these look delicious! And let's face it, anything with cointreau is good for festivity.

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

Glad this worked out for ya, Alicia! I'm seriously swooning over these. Usual truffles tend to be a bit rich for me, but the cakey center to these sounds fan-tas-tic!